Monday 27 April 2015

Aneta Ivanova

 Aneta is a 23 year old photographer living in Bulgaria. She focusses on multiple exposure photography, and portraits which include the element of nature. I have decided to write about this photographer as I think her work is very unique and abstract, and I like the way she brings together both nature and portraiture. 


Although there is a lot of empty space in the frame of this image, the portrait still significantly stands out as the background is plain white. I like the way the different tones in the face and the highlights and shadows allow form to be shown, so the image does not look like a flat silhouette. I also like the way the birds spread out gradually as if they are making up the girls face, and the fact that they are flying in the opposite direction. Although there is no blurring to suggest movement, the position of the birds imply that they are in motion. The facial features can be seen clearly and the outline of the face is also very clear due to the contrast between it and the background. The same goes for each individual bird. 


I think that this image is clever in the way that the girl looks like she is gasping for air due to the sea line reaching her mouth. I also like the colours and tones in the sea and how it is blue on the top but includes more green tones the deeper it goes. The reflection of light on top of the water is appealing and adds to the image. Highlights and shadows in the girls skin allow us to see form, so that she does not just look like a silhouette. The background is plain white which allows us to focus on the foreground and keeps the image simple. 


This image is very minimilistic. As well has having a plain white background, the picture has been edited black and white. I think the simplicity works well in this case and the black and white effect allows the different tones in the sea to be visible I like the way the sea gets darker the deeper it gets, and how individual waves are visible on the top of the water due to a discrete outlines. Highlights and shadows allow us to see the form of the models skin, so that she does not just look like a flat silhouette. The contrast between the dark sea and the bright white background allows the outline of the woman's body and face to be seen very clearly. I also like the position she is making with her body and the shape it creates. In this case we cannot see her facial features in detail which creates a sense of mystery. 


I like the mixture vivid tones that are used in this portrait, as it really makes it stand out against the plain background. I also like the unusual feature of parts of the portrait being missing, as it allows the portrait to blend well into the background. The way the outline of the portrait is not specific makes the portrait seem more artistic and slightly resembles watercolours. The dramatic position of the model adds interest to the image and makes it more memorable. It also may create enigmas for viewers. The highlights and shadows allow us to still see the form of the woman's face and hands. 

Looking at Aneta's photography, I feel influenced to experiment a bit more with photomontage in my photography. I have not had much experience with photomontage however seeing these images and how well they bring together nature and portraiture makes me want to have a go at it. I already enjoy taking portraits so expanding on this and experimenting with Photoshop may result in some interesting and abstract imagery. 

After exploring Aneta Ivanova's photography in more detail I have realised that a lot of her creations are very similar. Although I find her style and photomontage techniques very interesting and abstract, a lot of them are very similar, using models in similar positions and overlapping them with similar images of nature or locations. I found that after a while I began to loose interest as there was a lack of variety in her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment